Answer by Harsh Ankur:
Some mind-blowing facts about Indian army :-
- Indian Army is the 3rd biggest military contingent in the World next to USA and China.
- India's indigenous nuclear-capable ICBM(Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile) AGNI-V puts India into the Elite Club consisting of USA, China, France and Russia.
- The famous missile series AGNI's first missile AGNI I failed in its first two tests and was made fun off by other countries like USA, UK, Pakistan, etc.
- It was successful in the third try but USA claimed that the project head A.P.J. Abdul Kalam( who happened to have visited Long Island, USA for some other work) had learnt the technology from their missiles. Now AGNI is one of the best missile systems in the world.
- Agni and Prithvi both are Nuclear capable basaltic and are most accurate in the world in their respective categories. Prithvi will always hit within 50m of target coordinates thus making it devastating with even smaller payloads(explosives)
- India claims AGNI-V to have a reach of 5,000 kms to which Chinese and Australian delegates and experts suspect to have a range of 8,000 kms. and that India is hiding these facts just to avoid any concern from foreign countries.
- AGNI-VI(being built) will have a range of 10000 kms. which would give India the power to strike in any part of the world barring South America and very small parts of North America.
- India is also alleged to be secretly devloping Surya class missiles based on ISRO's PSLV model. Surya I and Surya II will have ranges around 10,000 and 20,000 Kms.
- India's cruise missile (being tested) NIRBHAYA is a cruise nuclear-warhead missile which when blasted, takes the form of a plane and when the target is in nearby range, attacks it with a random procedure thus eliminating the probability of it getting stopped by any anti-missile system as its process is itself not defined. In other words-unstoppable.
- In the hilly terrains, it gives an advantage as the missile goes from the side of the mountains and attacks the target from the rear side.
- The missile BrahMos-2 (built in collaboration with Russia)(under development)(Brahmaputra+Moscow) is the fastest hypersonic missile in the world travelling at a speed of Mach-7 (7 times the speed of sound in air).
- BrahMos I is already devloped with 13 variants (ex air to ground, ground to ground, ground to sea, sea to sea etc) It is already in service of the Army, Navy and Air force. It is one of its kind because generally cruise misiles are Sea to Sea or Sea to Land.
Coming to Navy-based missile systems
- India's INS-Vikrant(bought from UK) was the first aircraft carrier of India.
- The HMS Harriers(airplanes on INS VIRAAT) are one of its kind which has the ability of vertical landing and take-off.
Shown below is INS VIRAAT
- India's statistics for aircraft carriers is like this
- : carrier (ex- ) in service since 1987.
- : Modified carrier (ex- ) due in service October 2013.
- : 40,000 ton carrier. It is being built at Cochin Shipyard and is expected to enter service in 2017.
- : 65,000 ton Vikrant-class carrier. Expected to enter service in 2022.
- : carrier, (ex-HMS Hercules), in service from 1961 to 1997 and currently a museum ship docked at .
- The image below shows the countries which currently operates aircraft carriers in blue and the historic operators in light blue.
India's INS-ARIHANT is the first indeginious(built completely in India, by India) nuclear powered submarine in India. It has a capability to shoot missiles with nuclear war-heads even after being at half-a-kilometer beneath the water-level.
Coming to the Air Based Power
- The, , and serve in the Indian Air Force and are also seen as a means to deliver nuclear weapons.
Shown below is Sukhoi Su-30MKI
- In addition India maintainsand M which can be used to drop gravity bombs.
- Shown below is the mid-air refueling of two Mirage 2000 aircrafts.
- The new in queue for the indigenous aircraft of India is HAL-Tejas
- It integrates technologies such as, , multi-mode radar, integrated digital avionics system, composite material structures, and a engine.
- It is a tailless, compounddesign powered by a single engine.
Shown below is HAL Tejas
The entire list of the known missile types possessed by Indian Armed Forces can be found here
- India is also developing a fiftth generation stealth air superiority plane, that is it will not be seen on radar giving it an absolute advantage BVR(Beyond Visual Range) fights and bombing deep in to enemy territory.
- Below is an image of the plane… currently under trails
- Will update more information later.